Skip to main content

Elderflower and white chocolate shortbread


Anyone that knows me will know how obsessed I am with elderflower cordial. For that reason I thought it was about time I started incorporating it into my baking. I found a lovely recipe on Wallflower Girl's blog and decided to give it a go.

It was originally going to be a white chocolate and elderflower combination but there was a lonely lemon that I thought would make these even more of a springtime treat. 

I managed 2 cake tins worth of shortbread, which equated to 16 slices.

To make elderflower and white chocolate shortbread you will need:
250g butter
100g caster sugar
2 tbsp elderflower cordial
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
The rind of 1 lemon
300g plain flour
100g chopped white chocolate

Preheat your oven to 180C and prepare your baking tins. I went for 2 silicon cake tins to get the classic shortbread eighths but you're welcome to go for a square tin and create fingers...cut out rounds...whatever you fancy! You'll just need to increase the cooking time a little if using a square tin and decrease slightly if you're going for individual rounds.

Cream the butter and sugar together using a wooden spoon or an electric whisk until pale.

Add in the elderflower cordial, vanilla extract and lemon rind and gently beat.

Add the plain flour and combine.

Throw in the white chocolate chunks and gently mix to form your shortbread.

At this stage you can either press into your tin and mark out the shortbread with a knife or wrap in clingfilm for 30 minutes and cut out shapes.

Pop your tin in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Check at 15 to see if golden and if not give it a few more minutes.



Leave to cool in the tin before properly cutting out the segments of shortbread and enjoying their buttery, crumbly deliciousness.  



Comments

  1. ahh ma gad. I expect these on the table when we are next all in your kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet potato and flageolet bean burgers

Sweet potatoes could possibly be my favourite food ever. These burger patties don't contain any gluten because they're held together with egg. We had the sweet potato and flageolet bean burgers in rolls, whereas the gluten-free member of the family had lots of smaller patties (rather than one big one) as part of a pretty epic salad. Nothing much beats these burgers when piled up with with salad, avocado, home-grown tomatoes and a little smear of mayonnaise (in my eyes anyway!) You can get 8 medium-sized patties out of the quantities used (happily fed a family of 5 with patties of varying sizes!) For the sweet potato and flageolet bean burgers you will need: 2 sweet potatoes A (400g) tin of flageolet beans  1 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp cumin 1 tbsp tomato puree 2 garlic cloves, crushed 1 egg Few tbsp oil to cook the patties To serve you'll need rolls, but beyond that you're welcome to put in whatever your heart desires! Other than the avocado and tomato, I th

My new smoothie maker

Yesterday I was invited over to a friend's house for a "wii and juicing" party on the same night as the very first social of the year at university. It's obvious which option I went for. After having a glass of the juice she whipped up I decided that following our exam results, due to be released the following day, I would treat myself to a slightly cheaper smoothie maker that I had set my heart on. Unfortunately the results were delayed by three days, but I decided to buy the smoothie maker anyway because I was so desperate to try out some recipes! The two that I have tried out so far are a cucumber, mango and ginger beauty, the other a peanut and banana smoothie. Both are super duper. The quantities are for the 600ml smoothie maker I used; you may need to adjust accordingly! A lot of the quantities are halves of fruit BUT if you chop up the lot you can freeze it ready for the next time you want to make it! I'm excited already! For the cucumber, mango and

Chilli chocolate birthday cake

On Wednesday it was my lovely friend Danny's birthday. I was invited to spend a long weekend with him and my favourite person, Emily, in Swansea. Danny's only request for his birthday cake was that it was "new flavours", which led to me and Emily baking Danny a chilli chocolate cake until 1am on Saturday morning.  Little duckling sheltering from the Welsh weather The cake was enjoyed on Saturday evening with everyone and it was super - the chilli isn't spicy at all but just gives a depth to the chocolate flavour that makes the cake taste extra special. The icing doesn't have any chilli in either so it just makes for a lovely celebration cake! It's important to use a good quality chocolate with a high cocoa content as it is so much more delicious than a cheap slab of chocolate; this cake deserves that sort of quality. The recipe is based upon one you bake in a  Le Creuset  but we instead baked it in a cake tin and it turned out perfectly. By al